Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

understanding barcode string data

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterK04

MIS
Dec 2, 2004
CA
We are in the process of building a barcode scanning application for product tracking and inventory. This application will be used in our retail stores, distribution centers and warehouses. I have a question regarding the scanned barcode string. We have vendors that will send us product labeled either with UPC or 128 symbology. I understand that the barcode scanner from Symbol doesn’t care what symbology it’s reading and it just passes a string of characters to the application.

How can the application tell if it’s “working” with a UPC or 128 barcode when a label is scanned? Is there a way of checking that in the application by looking at the string data that was just scanned and identify the symbology?

Another question is; will all vendors using 128 or UPC always have a company prefix at certain position and the company prefix will be always n numbers long? Once we identify the symbology from the barcode string we need to identify the vendor so the barcode string can be further parsed.

Thank you.

1st. Did you get the scanner as part of the package from a 3rd party?
2nd. If you scan their original barcode into Notepad do you see any extra characters?
Watch the screen to see if the cursor moves somewhere down a line or ???
Are you creating this in a Barcode Program or using a Font?
The first thing is to determine the type of barcode.
Code39 or 3 of 9
Code128
UPC or EAN
Interleaved 2of5
All barcodes can not be created just by typing the characters on a keyboard if you are using a font. Code39 Requires an Asterisk in front *12345*
If you are using Word you have to shut off the Autoformat for Bold in Word
Look in “Tools” menu then “AutoFormat” then click the “Options” button and un-check the box *Bold* … (there are two places on those screens!)
Cde128 requires a sophisticated Algorithm.

I think you are making it more complicated than it needs to be. All scanners will read all symbologies.
If you scan a barcode with a USB or keyboard attachment they will put the barcode data wherever the cursor is blinking on the screen, in any program
I suggest you buy one scanner first and get the packages and scan them into Notepad to see what the barcode is. For a UPC it’s the numbers underneath (human readable)
The UPC for example is the part number of a product.
012345907894 for Heinz Ketchup 16oz Squirt Bottle (not actually I'm just using this as an example)
You can use this as its part number in the database. No other product in the USA will have this same UPC.

So when you go to add items to you database you simply pick up the item
Click the mouse in the part number field or UPC field if the program has one and scan the barcode. Then do the same for the next one.

Same thing for Code128 scan it and see what it shows in Notepad.

DougP, MCP, A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back