Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Underlay Details Sections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scroller52

Technical User
Jan 25, 2008
US
hi, using CR XI release 2 on a SQL DB

i have the following data set:

Date Cash Received Date Cash Distributed
1/1/09 500
1/10/09 200
2/21/09 1000 2/21/09 1500
3/31/09 5000
4/1/09 3000

I have the 'Date', 'Cash Received' and 'Cash Distributed' in two different details sections (A and B). I am underlaying Details A. Is it possible to format the data like this:

1/1/09 500 1/10/09 200
3/31/09 5000 4/1/09 3000

any help is greatly appreciated.

I was able to use two subreports and let each one use half of a section on my group footer. If there is a way that i can format the data w/o the subreports please advise.

Now that i am able to collapse the empty rows of columns, the grouping of the two subreports are not in sync anymore. so if the data from subreport 1 fund 1 is longer than the data from subreport 2 fund 1, the data will run onto the next page or what have you, while subreport 2 fund 2 data begins to print. any help on this?

The report should look like your desired format once you have formated detail_a to underlay following sections.

-LB

I would think so too, but it doesn't for some reason, actually i may have posted my data set incorrectly in my original post...it looks more like this:

1/1/09 500 1/1/09 0
1/10/09 0 1/10/09 200
3/31/09 5000 3/31/09 0
4/1/09 0 4/1/09 3000

not sure if that makes a difference or not, but it is not collapsing the rows

Yes, you did misrepresent your data initially. Is there an ID # or something to indicate which rows "go together"? It appears, for example, that the firsts two rows refer to one thing, then the third is by itself, and the last two go together.

-LB

LB,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean?

I would like all of the Cash Recieved <> 0 to print.

Then on the column next to it, the Cash Distributed <> 0 to print.

The #'s are not related, as long as they print side by side in the same row.

Thanks

I don't know how to be more explicit. There has to be some rule about what gets collapsed--or essentially grouped. In your example the first two rows are combined, then third is maintained, and the last two are combined. Do the rows that are combined have a field in common, e.g., a common item#, invoice#, or something like that that would distinguish them from other lines?

-LB

There isn't a relationship or rule between the Cash Received and Distributed, why i want the 1st two rows to be combined is because for the 1st row of Cash Distributed, there was a 0, so I do not want that shown.

The 3rd row is maintained, because they are both the second data-item that isn't 0. Same for the last 2 rows of data, they just happen to be the 3rd data-items within their column that <>0. Does this clear things up?

The data is grouped by 'Fund' and a 'Discretionary' data-item.

I guess you could try to conditionally underlay the data. First format the relevant date field to suppress if the corresponding activity (disbursement/receipt) = 0. Then in the section expert->underlay following section->x+2 use a formula like this:

{table.fund} = next({table.fund}) and //group field
{table.discretionary} = next({table.discretionary}) and //groupfield
(
(
{table.cashdisbursement} = 0 and
next({table.casheceipt}) = 0
) or
(
{table.cashreceipt} = 0 and
next({table.cashdisbursement}) = 0
)
)

-LB

I can see what you're trying to do, but wouldn't just checking of the underlay following sections box always underlay the section no matter what?

I tried to put your solution into the details section and it didn't change the format of the report. Any other ideas?

You need to put the formula in the x+2 formula area for underlay following sections, without checking the box. Then it will only underlay when the detail_a section meets the criteria.

-LB

yes, putting the formula in there, i did it w/o checking the box

And it isn't working? Please post the exact formula you entered.

-LB

unfortunately, i do not have access to the report today. but i copy and pasted your formula and replaced the fields with my actual field names. i've tried a combination of putting that in details A, B and A and B together.

I was able to suppress the rows of data when the cash received or distributed = 0 leaving blank space between the rows.

i'll post the formula i used when i get the chance to.

LB, here is the formula i used

{CashReconciliation.LE Preferred Name} = next({CashReconciliation.LE Preferred Name}) and //group field
{CashReconciliation.Discretionary} = next({CashReconciliation.Discretionary}) and //groupfield
(
(
{CashReconciliation.Cash Received} = 0 and
next({CashReconciliation.Distributions (Gross of tax withholdings)}) = 0
) or(
{CashReconciliation.Distributions (Gross of tax withholdings)} = 0 and
next({CashReconciliation.Cash Received}) = 0
)
)

This looks right, and should be entered only in the section expert->detail_a->underlay following sections->x+2 formula area.

You should NOT be suppressing ROWS when a field = 0, you should be using field suppression. You should be suppressing one date field and the cash receipt field if the cash receipt = 0, and suppressing the other date field and the disbursement field if the disbursement = 0.

-LB

got it, will try that when i have access to the report.

still no success LB, does it matter that this is a subreport?

I can't really troubleshoot this unless you area very specific about what you are doing and the results you are getting when you try my suggestion.

-LB

thanks, will post exactly what i'm trying and what the results are tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back