Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Underground Cable Locator

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadmiller

Technical User
Oct 13, 2004
US
I'm looking to purchase an underground cable locator and looking for some advice. Not looking to purchase a top of the line unit as it will probably not get a ton of use(maybe once or twice a year) but also don't want to go completely on the low end of the spectrum. Does anyone have any recommendations on a unit. we would be marking low-volt underground communications lines such as 25 - 200 pair telephone lines and underground fiber optic lines with a tracer wire.

In the old days, at SWBell outside plant engineering office we called the local contractor's back hoe a cable locater. LOL

we called the local contractor's back hoe a cable locater. LOL

correct, but he want's a non-destructive locater! :eek:)

yes. yes. no destructive is preferred. Had to many of our own encounters with the destructive methods of finding our underground lines.

I have to say by far the worst one ever happened right on one of our own campus's. Maintenance dept. was putting in a post for some new baseball diamonds. The post hole auger found our fiber and proceeded to wind it in from both directions. Worse part is they didn't know till it had well over a few hundred feet of cable on it and no clue how much was from each direction. They just thought it was a really tough tree root.

I will look into the pipehorn site and see what they have to offer.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back