Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unchangable low resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhnaeco

Technical User
Aug 11, 2005
Hi,

Fedup of waiting half an hour for my dell mobile workstation to load up i removed some unused programs from the startup options in msconfig. When it restarted it came up with the usual ms panic and very low resolution. I couldn't change the resolution so i just went back to the normal startup and restored all the startup programs. However, the resolution is still at the very lowest point and display changes nothing. I have tried a system restore but it can't restore for some reason. Is there anything I can do?

I know it's not the video card or drivers - it's a dual boot and it has no problem with resolution until the welcome screen and linux has no problems. The driver properties says that it is working properly and i have no reason to doubt it.

I want my high resolution back -help!!

system: xp sp2
nvidia quadro fx go700

I would recommend downloading the latest drivers and installing them; regardless of whether Windows reports functioning drivers.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Have you tried System Restore from within Safe Mode? What security type programs are you running, perhaps one of these is blocking something?

Do you still have the problem with a 30 minute startup? If so perhaps you can try some of these, who knows, you might kill two birds with one stone?

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Have you disabled anything in the Bios, perhaps setting that to Safe Defaults might help?

Malware ought to be considered too.

I see lots of recommendations here for programs like -

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

SuperAntispyware

I know it's not the video card or drivers - it's a dual boot and it has no problem with resolution until the welcome screen and linux has no problems. The driver properties says that it is working properly and i have no reason to doubt it.

But Linux is using it's own drivers, and wouldn't use the same drivers that XP does.

I have seen this happen on nvidia cards before. It was the drivers. :)

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back