Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UNC naming convention vs. regular Naming for linked tbl mgr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pack10

Programmer
Feb 3, 2010
US
I was testing the linked table manager the other day and noticed that when I linked the tables with the full UNC naming convention as compared to X:\folder\database.mdb naming....the UNC was alot slower.
Opening forms, clicking on buttons that run a SQL statement were terribly slow. I prefer to use the UNC for flexibility but it was really slow. Does that happen to you guys too?

I have never seen a performance issue using UNC vs hard-coded drive letter. I always use UNC to avoid issues where users may have different drive letters mapped to difference file server paths or may not even have that drive letter. UNC has always been my preference.

In therory UNC should be faster, since when locating a drive letter reference you need to navigate the drive letters on a specific PC. If a PC has 20 mapped drive letters; it could take awhile.

One thought is that you are having some connection issues. Is your UNC path a truly full qualified path name with server or static IP reference? I know that alias UNC paths can be setup on servers which could be the issue.

Another thought, is that your linked tables are losing connection and attempt to re-establish. My preference is to create (or refresh) all linked tables on MS Access Application open; and in some cases on Application Close, I delete all linked tables.

Hope This Was Helpful... Steve

Steve Medvid
IT Consultant & Web Master

How do you refresh all the links on database open. Any code samples you can point me to.
Thanks

First, you need some VBA programming experience; knowledge of TableDefs and usage of AutoExec Macro that fires on Application open.

There are sooooo many examples, of refreshing table links, I could not do it justice. It is a simple process with less than dozen lines of code for the basic refresh function...

Simply google MS Access AutoExec Refresh Linked Tables VBA; and I am 100% certain Tek-tips has references which you may want to search 1st. Since this is where I originally learned to refresh Linked Tables via AutoExec Macro and VBA Code over 12+ years ago!

Good Luck!

Steve Medvid
IT Consultant & Web Master

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back