Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UNC aliases

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiflyer

Programmer
Sep 24, 2002
US
I'm migrating from a windows based apache server to a linux based apache server.

One problem I'm having is with my aliases, I have many aliases in windows which are setup via UNC paths...
Code:
Alias /process "//machinename/sharename/folder"
<Directory "//machinename/sharename/folder">
  Options....
  And so on
</Directory>

But I don't think this will work in linux, do I need to mount each share in my fstab, and then use the mount directory, or do I need to configure things somehow to see UNC paths? The mounting seems the easiest, but I'm not sure it's correct practice, so would appreciate any feedback.

skiflyer,

Maybe I misunderstood. Are you trying to alias to a local folder or a network share?

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, MCSA 2003 certified

It's a network share.

And on my windows setup, the user running apache has access to the share, so I was able to just put the UNC path in my alias command.

In my linux setup, supposedly I'm running as that same user, but I'm not sure all the domain setups are correct or not yet.

So I'm trying to use that same network share, it's not working at all... so what I was going to do is mount all of these alias's to local folders and use those... but that seems a little tedious to me. However, I'll gladly do it if it's considered correct procedure.

Exactly... that's my fall back plan... but it seems like double the work, so I'm wondering if there's another way to do it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back