Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unauthenticated NIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lordmathos

IS-IT--Management
Oct 21, 2005
GB
Hi all I have built a server 2008 R2 computer with Hyper-V to host multiple virtual servers.

The host server has 6 NICs installed to handle traffic for the virtual servers.

Everything was working fine yesterday but today one of the NICs is showing as unauthenticated and not allowing traffic in or out of it.

I have tried DHCP and static IP addresses for the card, uninstalling and reinstalling it and restarting the server.

I have searched the internet but have not found any info.

Any ideas?

Cheers

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

Couple of questions:
Are you using NAP on your network? I can see a few forums posts etc about that and network cards not authenticating
Have you hardended your switch and maybe the port is expecting a different mac address?

Paul

Paul Thomas
Important IT

No the switch is a bog standard gigabit switch with nothing done to it. The server is on the same subnet as the DC.

The NIC was working fine the day before. Came back into work this morning and it won't authenticate.

The NIC finds the domain name (with a 2 after it)within network and sharing center but catogerises it as a private network. If i try to change it from a private network to a work network but it just stays as a private network.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

Network Location Awareness. Great for end users roaming on a laptop. Even better for annoying people who don't need it.

Windows will identify your network based on the IP address (and I believe MAC address) of the default gateway, and if it can see a domain (presumably via NetBIOS or by querying a DNS server on that link) it will identify it by the domain's name.

If you don't have a default gateway specified then you'll get all kinds of funny issues. Of course you can only have a single default gateway, so if your NICs are all connected to separate networks then you'll have issues as well.

If most of your NICs are for guest VM traffic, don't make them available to the parent OS or put an IP address on them and you should be OK.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

They are all on the same subnet so I have set up the same default gateway on all the nics.

5 out of 6 nics are being used for the vms so I have not made them available to the host.

They are all on the same subnet so I have set up the same default gateway on all the nics.

5 out of 6 nics are being used for the vms so I have not made them available to the host.

Those statements contradict each other. Either you presented the NICs to the host OS and put an IP address on them (including gateway) or you did not make them available to the host. If you do not make them available to the host then you cannot put an IP address on them because the only thing that is bound to the NIC is the Microsoft Virtual Switch.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

When I installed 2k8 R2 I set them up as normal Nics (IP, DG, DNS, WINS) then I installed Hyper-V and selected that they were not available to the host within the virtual network manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back