Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unattended uninstall 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJO31

MIS
Jul 13, 2007
US
I'd like to run:

MSIEXEC /X {package} /q

in SMS so that I can easily remove software, but I don't see how I can distribute that simple command. Any help?

What I do is build a new Package, but leave my Source Directory field empty in the Data Source tab. You can enter the rest of the required info into the rest of the Package fields.

I then create a new Program and call it Silent Uninstall. (You can call it whatever you like) In the Command Line field, I enter the command I want SMS to run. For example, I created a QuickTime 7.2.0 uninstall package yesterday. The command line field reads:

MsiExec.exe /x {95A890AA-B3B1-44B6-9C18-A8F7AB3EE7FC} /qn

Set your Run drop down menu to Hidden, select the appropriate drop down menu for After Running and enter the Category info and that is it.

After you've created your package, you can then create a new Advertisement to deploy the package to your target PCs. When your target PC runs, it'll know where to find MSIEXEC.EXE and it will parse through the rest of the string.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back