Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unattended install problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyler

MIS
May 15, 2001
US
I have an unattended install worked out like this:

I used Setup Manager (explode <cdrom>Support\Tools\Deploy.cab from the 2k cdrom to install) to create an answer file.

I'm using a fully automated Windows 2000 professional type installation.
I use the typical TCP/IP settings, change screen res, join the domain etc.
I also have an MST file (Transform) I created with the ORK (office recourse kit) to install Office in quiet (/q) mode after the installation of 2000 is complete.

I'm installing over Windows NT workstation(4), I invoke setup like so:

\\fileserv\software\install\i386 winnt32 /tempdrive:d: /unattend:unattend.txt /syspart:c:

All installs fine, with a few problems.

1. Depending on what type of partitions are setup on the target PC, I get different results in drive letters and partitions. I would like for setup to completely blow away any partitions that are there at install time, and create one big partition on the hard drive. My answer file has this:

[Data]
AutoPartition=1
MsDosInitiated=&quot;0&quot;
UnattendedInstall=&quot;Yes&quot;
Repartition=Yes

Any suggestions to make setup blow away the old partition?

2. I want my slick little office setup with the MST to kick off after installation (AND a quiet service pack install) but it seems that they are not kicking off after setup. On second look, I see that when the 2000 setup finishes, it logs on as the LOCAL administrator, who, when trying to connect to the network share to install office, gets a username and password question (which, since no one is there, can answer).

How can I get setup to log in as a different user (besides the local admin account) once it completes?

TIA - Sky

--------------------------------------------

&quot;Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile.&quot;
-- Karl Lehenbauer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back