Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unattended Install - Partitioning and Formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

djhawthorn

Technical User
Mar 4, 2002
AU
Hello,

I am looking at deploying some several hundred Windows 2003 Servers in the near future, which have to be built from scratch on brand new hardware (blank hard drives). Until now I have used Windows 2000 unattended installs, using a DOS (Win98) boot sector which has FDISK and FORMAT (somewhat scripted) in order to setup the first partition immediately prior to the fully-unattended Windows 2000 install.

The main problem with this is Virtual PC does not like the DOS boot sector on the CD; so I can not use Virtual PC to test the installation of 2003 when I replace the i386 folder etc of the 2000 install.

Are there any freeware third-party tools available that can fully-automate the creation and formatting of a system partition (from a bootable CD), that can then kick off the fully-unattended install of Windows?

Basically I want to stick the CD in, and with a minimum of fuss kick off the partitioning, formatting, and installation of Windows, coming back a few hours later to find it all done.

This product needs to be compatible with Virtual PC for ease of testing - I need to be able to test installation and configuration prior to getting the actual hardware installed, as there will be a rush to get them built as quickly as possible once the hardware arrives.

Any help appreciated.

[ponder][laughtears] The dumber they think you are, the more surprised they'll be when you kill them! [machinegun][rofl2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back