Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unanswerable router question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIScoord

MIS
Aug 21, 2001
US
Got a problem with my routers that I don't know if I'll get answered because my manufacturer (NX Networks) went belly up and sold out. This looked like as good as any place to put it. Forgive me, but I'm a bit desperate. Here's my scenario: We have an internal network with nine Open Route GTX1000 routers. The main office connects to a BellSouth Cisco router that connects to the outside world. The other eight satellite routers connect to the router at the main office. Each router is on its own subnet. This whole system was set up before I came on board at our company. Right now, our satellite routers can access resources on their own subnet and resources on the subnet at the main office. However, they cannot access resources at the other satellites. Adding routes into the individual computers doesn't work as the packets seem to be dying at the router at the main office. How can I configure my main router so that the routers at my satellites can see each other? Me: We need a better backup system.
My boss's boss: Backup? We don't need no stinkin' backup!

do you have servers at the remote sites? if so you may need to setup a route in the servers to get in. Try this do a trace route and see where the problem starts.. Jeter@LasVegas.com
Fisher CCNA
[americanflag]

Tried that and it didn't work. The trace revelealed that the packets are getting as far as the router at the main office and dying there. The router at the main office is not sending them on to the correct subnet. Maybe this will help -- the main office subnet is 10.0.2.0. The satellite subnets are 10.0.3.0 through 10.0.9.0. If a computer on 10.0.3 wanted to see something on 10.0.5, the packet requesting the information gets as far as 10.0.2 and dies. It's as if the 10.0.2 router is configured to see each subnet as its own self-contained pipe and not a web of pipes that can send information back and forth to each other. I know there has to be a way to set the router to do this, but I'm stumped as to how it works. Me: We need a better backup system.
My boss's boss: Backup? We don't need no stinkin' backup!

Do a show ip route on the main router and see if the router can see the other networks.

I think you'll need to cut n paste the config of the cisco router here.

What the?!?!

yes look at the routes , what routing protocol are you using? Keep in mind that if the trace route stops at the router the problem is the next source do not give up on the server route. also keep in mind the wan and ethernet ip you are using. Jeter@LasVegas.com
Fisher CCNA
[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back