Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to view VIEWS with PUBLIC synonym

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekniks

Technical User
Jun 27, 2003
US
Hi,

I am having problem in CR 8.5 returning Views with PUBLIC synonym. I can see the tables and stored procedures with PUBLIC synonym but not VIEWS.

This is a global View that resides in a different database than what I'm reporting against(but my database instance has access to this View) and has a PUBLIC synonym to it.

I checked the boxes in Report > Options for all the combinations possible one by one but to no avail.

Currently the Report > Options settings are - Tables, Views, Synonyms, Stored Procedures -- Checked. Nothing in Table Name Like ... or Owner Like ....

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Tek

Hi, please explain further what is meant by:

This is a global View that resides in a different database than what I'm reporting against(but my database instance has access to this View) and has a PUBLIC synonym to it.

What Database, Version, etc.
Is it based on a DB LINK?
Are you using the same user/password in CR that you use when connecting directly to the database ( say with SqlPlus) and can you see that view when connected that way?

[profile]

I am reporting against an Oracle 7.3.4 database instance.
This particular view has a PUBLIC synonym in the sense that it is a common(global) VIEW that is utilized by various departments and hence various database instances.

Normally in the Data Explorer window under your database instance tree the database objects appear as -- USER.TABLE_NAME.

In this case it should be -- PUBLIC.VIEW_NAME

Yes, I'm using the same Username and password when connecting directly to this view from SQL.

Tek

Anybody on this.. please.

Thanks

Tek

Hi, can you post the code for the view..Does it use a database link, since it is 'actually' getting data from another instance?

( As you probably know, 7.3.4 is very old and unsupported, it might be time to update - )

[profile]

There is no code for this, it is just the connection problem when you do Add Database or Set Location. I can see the TABLES with synonyms but not the VIEWS with synonyms.

Also, nothing to do with version of Oracle, it is the Crystal Reports tool that is not resolving/transforming the Database Objects in its Data Explorer window.

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Tek

Hi,
ALL views are code.

Versions can matter - for instance, a 7.3.4 client cannot connect to ( and therefor see objects in) a 9.2 database.

[profile]

OOPS - Fast fingers, slow brain:

The statement is backwards, it should have been:

Versions can matter - for instance, a 9.2 client cannot connect to ( and therefore see objects in) a 7.3.4 database.

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back