Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to view some messages via webmail 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

esmithbda

IS-IT--Management
Jun 10, 2003
US
We have webmail for Exchange 2000 up and running and our executives use it to check mail when out of the office - which is frequently.

They are experiencing a problem where they go to open a message and it will give them an error, saying that message can not be viewed - what essentially looks like a web type 404 error or something of that sorts.
But when they are in the office they can see it fine.

Or if they foward that message to someone else in our system, that person can then read it (from webmail).

Is this a known problem or issue?

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can resolve this? My executives are really not happy about this and I'm currently stumped.

Thanks

We have this problem with some messages. They have two things in common: 1. HTML used for the text, or 2. picture attachment incorporated into the mail.

I haven't figured out what causes the problem yet, either.

We've usually run into this when the subject line of the message ends in certain punctuation marks. The most common offender is an elipsis (...).

The characters in question are used in scripting code, and OWA doesn't display messages with them in at the end of hte subject line to prevent malicious code that is emailed to somone from executing.

So that means I should be able to write an event script that looks for them at the end of subjects and strips them out?
If that is the case, that is a prety easy fix - thanks! I already have a series of scripts setup, just need to add another one.

If anyone else has ideas - let me know.

I don't know how to fix an HTML or e-mail containing and image issue.

If it is indeed the case, then running this as an EventSink should strip out the ellipse - are there other things it should strip out as well?
(note that I haven't tested that at all and while it *should* work, there is certainly no guarentee associated with it - and it is your own issue of installing it if you don't know how to do that)

Code:
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=&quot;VBSCRIPT&quot;>
'should run this on incoming mail

' Declare Windows 2000/2003 SMTP Transport Event Sink constants
Const cdoRunNextSink = 0 'technically probably do not really need this

Sub ISMTPOnArrival_OnArrival(ByVal Msg, EventStatus )
    Dim envFlds         

Set envFlds = Msg.EnvelopeFields

'look at the last 10 characters of the subject field
    'if they contain &quot;...&quot; then remove that from the text and then put that back in
    'then let the mail continue on    
    If Instr(1,Msg.Subject,&quot;...&quot;,1) Then    
        'if we are in there, then it has an ellipse
        'so we want to replace it with a space
        Replace(Msg.Subject, &quot;...&quot;, &quot; &quot;, 1, 1)

'now commit the changes        
        Msg.Update

End If     

'clean up
    Set envFlds = Nothing

'now run the next sink
    EventStatus = cdoRunNextSink

End Sub
</SCRIPT>

Thanks de1458!

After reading through all that, it does seem that is likely the cause. I am reviewing our logs and talking to the executives that are having the issues and trying to narrow down which files types cause the biggest hassle for us.

Thanks again (also, my script above will not help in this situation, and after reviewing it, even if it did help it also looks like the if statement containing the &quot;Instr&quot; should have a &quot;<> 1&quot; before the Then statement)

-Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back