Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to view our website in the browser from within the LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klegy

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
GB
We are running a windows server 2003 network with the domain name, ATSLONDON.COM. Our ISP is hosting our website, The pages have been uploaded onto our personal web space.
All users on the LAN are unable to see the website in the browser from within the network, but can from a computer outside.
Is this something to do with the fact that our domain name is the same as our website name?
Anybody know a work around?

This is a realy nice one i have never seen any thing like this before. The thing is you are browsing for the website, that has the same name as your domain name, so it finds a record in your internal dns, that points to the dc, and it gives the client a response with the ip of the dc, and there is no website running on :)
If you set a host a record for the website your active directory will mess up, so that's no option either. Do not make the internal domain name the same as the external domain name thats the microsoft best practice its in all books......

You can browse the website by knowing the ip-address of the website and type that in a webbrowser this way you can view the page in your internal network.

regards Lars

Network admin for worldwide freight forwarders company.
mcp mcsa\: Messaging mcse -2003

Active Directory will not mess up if you put a host record in your DNS for " Just do not point "atslondon.com" to an external address. Many times you can browse a website with or without the "www" because DNS resolves both names to the same IP. In your case " and "atslondon.com" need to resolve to different IPs.

If you want to be cautious about it, you could also put " in the local hosts file on your PC's and resolve the name that way.

The other part of the advice is correct though. It is not recommended to name your internal domain the same as a domain on the public net.

Can you explain you comment in dont see what you mean by adding a record for dns, dns will resolve from back to front it starts loking for com then for atslondon and will find that as the domain name and give that eddress to the client and that will be the ip of the dc in my opinion.

Lars

We've had the same problem here. wcburton IS correct. We added a host record of "www" to point to our ISP's hosting site and we also added a name server for the domain using " pointing to the ISP's DNS server.

Systems Administrator

Larsdemo said:
...dns will resolve from back to front it starts loking for com then for atslondon and will find that as the domain name and give that eddress to the client and that will be the ip of the dc in my opinion.

If all you have requested is atslondon.com then it will return ip as you said. But if you request then it will look one more layer back for a host named "www" in your DNS.

It would be the same logic as if you had requested server23.atslondon.com. It would look for a host record "server23" on whatever DNS server was responsible for atslondon.com. There is nothing special about the " it is just what everyone got used to naming the host (or virtual host).

Ok thanks for sharing i realy did not know this i am learning some here.

regards Lars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back