Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to use shared printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charliesz

Technical User
Jul 24, 2003
CA
Greetings,

I have bunch of computers on the domain.
One of them is sharing a printer(which is connected via LPT to his computer)
Permissions are set to "everyone"

ive added that printer on other computers on the domain. When trying to print , the document never arrives to the printer, its just sitting in the in the printer queue with status of "printing".

if i were to go to the actual server and add the same printer , it prints no problems from here.

What might be the problem here?
Thanks

(ive added that printer on other computers on the domain. When trying to print , the document never arrives to the printer, its just sitting in the in the printer queue with status of "printing".)

"its just sitting in the in the printer queue with status of "printing"" I guess that you mean that the printer queue that your are looking at is the remote users printer queue....and that it shows as Printing forever. When this happens, if you go to the computer with the physical printer attached, do you see the job? This will tell you if the job is making it to the printer or not.

I suspect maybe a firewall is blocking the print job ...but need more information.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

How are you adding the printer on the computers in your network? I have noticed that going through the regular add printer wizard works ok most of the time but adding the printer manually usually never fails.

The way to add it manually is as follows:

1 Add a printer to LPT1 with the HP LaserJet IIID or III printer drivers.

2 Add another printer as you normally do with the add printer wizard. (this step is just so you get the right driver installed) Or you can browse to the computer that is sharing the printer, right click on the printer>connect.

3 Go back to the HP LJ III printer>Right click Properties> go to the ports tab> click 'add port'> 'Local Port' will be highlighted> click new port

When it asks you to put in the port name put in the share name of the printer, for example if the share name of the printer is LX1119 you would put in \\servername\lx1119. Servername being the name of the computer that the printer is connected to.

When you're back at the properties box, put a checkmark in 'Enable printer pooling' and put a checkmark in the LPT1 port. You should now have a working printer, make sure printer spooling is on and the network and LPT1 port are both checked.

4 Go to the advanced tab, change the printer driver to the right one. THis is where step 2 comes in handy because the right driver will be listed. Click Apply, OK and remove the printer that was installed on Step 2.

hope it helps

Fernando

Thanks for reply.

No firewall enabled
Ive tried your technique Feross101 , but alas it did not work:(

What i find weird is that if i were to log in to any computer as Administrator(domain) and try printing, it would print ok. Any other user... no go.

i have "everyone" already selected in security tab for that printer.

Whats interesting, people are saying everybody could print to that printer no problems when they were on workgroup (now we're all on domain)

This is driving me crazy.
Something so simple, being a pain in the neck.

I got the same prob with a bunch of PCs on a domain through a win 2k3 server.
There is an OKI printer installed on one of the PCs and is shared, however i need to re-connect the printer to the clients every time they login as it seems it is 'losing' it after relogging in...
Shared it on the server too now and waiting to see what happens..

GiorgosH, if the users are loosing the printer every time they log off you might have mandatory profiles.

Fernando

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back