Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to upload reports into Business Objects XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKST

Programmer
Jan 30, 2006
US
Hi All,
We are unable to upload reports using CMC, when tried getting the following error.

Retrieve Error
There was an error while retrieving data from the server: Failed to read data from report file C:\Temp\XXXXXX.rpt.
Reason: Failed to open print engine for C:\TEMP\tmpreport\~ci15c4456a2cd5e00.rpt. Ensure that CRPE32 is installed on this computer.

By the way, SaveAs from Crystal Reports Designer onto Crystal Reports Server XI works fine. Problem is when uploading reports from CMC this is happening.

This problem started when existing objects are executed OnDemand/RunOnce showing Status as Pending for hours before we delete the instance.

We also observed that "Crystal Reports Job Server " Metrics:

Number of Jobs Processing Now:
Total Number of Job Requests Received:
Total Number of Failed Job Creations:

keep on increasing into thousands before reboot the server.

We don't know if these two things are interrelated. Any idea what's wrong here?

Thanks in advance,
--KKST

Hi,
Is there more than one Crystal server involved or is it separate from the web site used to acess the CMC?

Have to installed the latest SP and/or Hot Fix?

The ever-increasing metrics and the eternally pending status seem to indicate a problem with the installation..

Be sure all the services are running under an account with full privileges to the OS File locations..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Thanks Turkbear,

We have only one Crystal Server setup.

We have installed Service Pack 2, a month ago and everything worked fine till yesterday.

We checked account privileges and it has full control(Admin privilege).

Is is possible to have a installation problem(may be corrupted files) after working so long on that machine?

By the way , we have is 5 concurrent user license(CRS XI) and almost 1000 scheduled instances on the server.

Hi,
Those scheduled instances each use up 1 Concurrent license ( as far as I know) so there will be a great delay on 1000 of them running ( are they all on the same day?? ) since only 5 at a time can be active -

Any error messages in the Event Viewer?
What changed yesterday?

[profile]

Turkbear said:
Those scheduled instances each use up 1 Concurrent license ( as far as I know)
I think this is incorrect, there maybe some throttling in CRS that I don't know of, but I can't see that it is CAL, the two are different things.

As to the problem: My wild guess would be that it's a web app issue (maybe ASP.NET account if that is what you're using). Maybe a M$ patch went in yesterday?

Kingfisher

You might have a problem with one or more of the services involved.

The "This problem started when existing objects are executed OnDemand/RunOnce showing Status as Pending for hours before we delete the instance." statement is what worries me. How long were you successfully using CRS before it started to fail?

You need to get this resolved first, resetting the server is a BAD soluton, and as part of that, make sure that the latest service pack is installed.

This is when a backup server is VERY useful, move everything voer to it and then try to resolve the prod server. If your mgmt doesn't consider business intelligence a key component of their business I would get my resume out there.

When the CRS is hanging, are all of the services still running?

Had you tried just restarting the services instead of a reboot?

There are so many coefficients in the equation that it's difficult to pinpoint, so try to have a solid disaster recovery plan in place.

-k

Hi,
I stand ready to be corrected, but I thought the 5 Concurrent Access Licenses also limited the # of scheduled reports that could run at the same time,since Scheduled Reports run under a user account.

( Otherwise the limit can be made meaningless if every report is scheduled to run as a recurring ( or a 1 time) report instead of View-On-Demand.)

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back