Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to update

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyallJ

MIS
Jul 18, 2001
US
I am running NAVCE 7.6 on NW5.1 and NW5.0. I am hooked thru a 56k point-to-point link with the home office. The home office controls the internet access. They have a firewall. I have not been able to gain access to the ftp.symantec.com to retrive the updates. I created the cescript.txt and the cegetter.bat but that did not work. I went to command and typed open ftp.symantec.com and got symantec.com:unknow host. I tried to go through explorer and type the address ftp.symantec.com, I get "The folder ftp://ftp.symantec.com/ is read only because my proxy server is not set up to allow full access." I had my counter part in Atlanta (home office) poke a hole in the wall. Now I have full access to the internet, but am still getting the same error. Any Ideas??

Thanks

Same here,
I have NAV Corporate edition (full version: 7.50.846) which actually has been setup to receive updates regularly at nights. But it has been failing to do so, even though the users dont shutdown when they leave (they do log-off though).
I need help on this very urgently, pleaseeeeeee.
Thanks.

I have found a way to update it manually. Use explorer to go into the ftp site. Right now I have a PC running winnt 4.0 on it set up as the primary server. Then I update this one, and it updates the servers, then the servers update pc attached to them. It works but it is a big pain to set up. I am still working on the batch file yet.

Well, my situation is different here as I use Samba servers awith YP for authentication. The workstations apart from Linux's are 2000P and NT4W. Of course, virus protection on Linux machines are not a big concern. But on PC's it is. So, my problem is I have no Win servers.
Also, could I possibly peek into your script once developed and tested ??. No hard feelings if its a privacy issue or something.
Thanks.

It should not matter with the OS. What I did was take a PC running NT workstation 4.0, and install the NAVCE Server software (Not Client) onto the PC. Then in the SSC set this PC/Sever as the primary server. Then set your other severs up to download updates from the Primary Server. You can do this in the SSC. Right click on the server(s), select "All Task", "Norton AntiVirus", "Virus Definition Manager". Make sure that the "Update the primary server of this group only" is checked and "Update virus definitions from parent server" is checked. I also have "Do not allow Client to manually launch live update" for the simple fact that people get happy fingers!

Then, on to the clients. Select the client(s). Right click, select "All Tasks", "Norton AntiVirus", "Virus Definition Manager". On this I have checked, "Update Virus definitions from parent server", and "Do not allow clients to manually launch Liveupdate" checked.

Once this is set up all the servers will get there defs from the server/pc and from there the clients will receive theirs from the parent PC. NAVCE defaults to check for updates every 60 mins. I changed mine to update every min, just so I could get them updated. I then changed it back. I have since found an easier whay to do this. Select your server(s), real and the server/pc, right click, select "All Tasks", "Norton AntiVirus", "Virus Definition Manager". On the bottom half of this window, were is says "Update Virus Definitions from parent server, click the setting button and run this down to a min. But remember to change it back to 60 min or what every you want.

Once you have all of this, goto

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus_corp/static/sarcx86.exe

This will start the download for the updates. You can download it to the server/pc or on your net. I put mine in the nav folder on the main server (the real file server, not the NAVCE server). Run this on the server/pc. This will update your defs on that server/pc, and from there it trickles down to all the other ones. You will see in the SSC the defs updating for all the clients. The current one that I have is "31219h" It is the newest update for the christmas.exe virus. With this, you only have to update the spare PC, and it will update every thing for you.

I do not have any code as of yet, but I am hard at work to automate this. The setup that came with NAVCE does not work, so I am going to make my own. I will share when It is compleated.

Email me at lkress@etigeo.com and I will help to get everything updating if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back