Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Take Ownership of Folder NT4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanMayhew

IS-IT--Management
Jan 17, 2003
GB
This is a strange one. I have a bunch of folders on our NT4 server which I cant access or change permissions on (I get the standard Access is Denied message). When I try to take ownership I get the same "Access is Denied" message. I am logged on as an administrator etc and I can take ownership of other folders without a problem.

Any ideas?

Have you checked the admins permission on these folders? Maybe they're set to 'Special access' At least that's what happend to me. I changed it to 'Full control', took ownership and there they went...

I hope this helps...
Frank

I've had this happen before, and this may sound dumb, but it worked every time. Reboot, and try again.

Frankedg - I cant get into the permissions screen because when I click on the button I get "Access is Denied" too.

ajmcse - I have not rebooted yet. I would normally have done this already but its one of those servers where every time I restart I spend the next day getting everything working again! I dont normally like to even sneeze near this one!

I will try a restart tonight. Another suggestion given to me was a "chkdsk /f" I am going to try this first so I know for next time.

Thanks guys, I will repost tomorrow with the results!

I'm with ajtmcse on this one, it rarely happens but when it does it's always needed a reboot.

Thanks for all your help. I restarted the server and it worked ok. The folders which I could previously not go into were ones which have been deleted and not properly gone.

Thanks

You might have a semi-corrupt sam account. i had this on an win2k pro machine, even as administrator, i couldnt change some settings and it bugged till i stupidly deleted some accounts and then it let me delete the files on the local machine..... just a thought....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back