Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to start MalwareBytes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonnieJohnson

Programmer
Apr 16, 2001
US
I am trying to clean a friend’s computer. She has a bunch of maleware and adware popping up messages about her computer being infected. She has no antivirus.

I am trying to install AVG and/or MalwareBytes. Neither one of them will launch. I click on the icons from my CD and nothing happens. I also have another copy of both on a thumb drive and nothing there either. I have even tried in SafeMode. Still nothing.

Is this a behavior of a virus and if so how do I get around it?

ProDev, Builders of Affordable Software Applications
Visit me at ==>
May God bless you beyond your imagination!!!

That is the behaviour of a virus. For MalwareBytes, rename the executable on your thumb drive to something like test.exe, copy it to the infected computer (which you should have booted into safe mode), run MalwareBytes in safe mode, reboot the computer into normal mode and run MalwareBytes.

After MalwareBytes has cleaned all that it can, try running an online Virus scanner like Kaspersky Online Virus Scanner.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

You may want to create a bootable rescue CD, boot from that and do a scan.

Some options:
Ultimate Boot CD can also do virus scans, but it's more general purpose.
Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Thanks to MR for the link to the AV bootable list... I may have seen the specific one before, but I don't remember for sure. I'll have to check that list out, myself... If it's the same list I looked at before, at least 1 or 2 of them were old links, and the CDs weren't freely available any longer..

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Just remember to burn the CDs on a clean PC.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Sorry for just now getting back cmeagan656. The renaming thing worked perfect and I was able to take care of her after that.

Here's a Star. [thumbsup2]

ProDev, Builders of Affordable Software Applications
Visit me at ==>
May God bless you beyond your imagination!!!

In cases where you can't run MBAM (even renamed to something else AND in safe mode), you can try running GMER to flush out the item which is preventing the execution.

It's usually TDSSxxxx.dll and you'll find a trace of it in C:\windows\system32\

TDSSnrse.dll
TDSSfpmp.dll
TDSSoeqh.dll
TDSSliqp.dll
TDSSciou.dll
TDSScfgb.dll
TDSSnrsr.dll
TDSSriqp.dll
TDSScfub.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.