Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to start CE10 Web Component Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

caimoss

Programmer
Apr 28, 2004
US
While troubleshooting a network problem, the network group at my company made a DNS change this morning. A server was listed with two different IP addresses and two different names (we'll call them "server.company.com" and "server.domainabbreviation.company.com"). The invalid name and IP were removed from the listing this morning by that group.

Since that change, I have a CE10 server on which I can no longer start the Crystal WCS. As I went through all of the services in the CCM, I saw some items which still referred to the old server name. Same goes for CE entries in the registry, as well as in the CMS database. All have since been changed to reflect the proper server name in DNS with no success, and changed back to their original values, still with no success.

The problem is that while in the CCM, I can start either the WCS or the CMS, but not both. If I start the CMS, then start the WCS, the WCS will shut right back down. This typically creates a couple of entries in the Event Viewer in Windows:

First, the WCS makes an entry that it is "Started". Then:

1st Error - Source: Crystal_WebCompServer, EventID: 34200, Category "Services". Failed to register with the name server. Reason: The name server being registered is invalid. There might be another server of this type registered using the same name. Choose another name or delete the corresponding server entry in the CMC.

2nd Error - Source: Crystal_WebCompServer, Event ID: 35302, Category "Startup". Log message: Fail (sic) to register with the nameserver. Please check for name duplication and validness of name used: myservername.WCS.

I can't get into the CMC because I can't start both the WCS and CMS at the same time. I only have access to the CCM. Any ideas?!

Hi,
In the CCM delete the existing WCS - see if the CMS will start..If so, create a new WCS..

If not..Delete the CMS ( remember the database used, however)..Delete the WCS ..

Create a new CMS ( using the existing database)
If it starts, then create a new WCS...

Changing these directly in the Registry or even the CCM can cause issues..delete/recreate has always seemed to be best method.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Thanks for the help, Turkbear. That was part of the problem--I actually had to remove and re-add all of the servers, but only after our network guys made one additional change to the server in question: apparently, the server still lived in the wrong domain, and some of the "log on as" accounts that we use for the services weren't authenticating correctly. They would start up then shut down either due to a bad login or a dependency on another service with a bad login.

So, once they fixed the server yet again, the servers within CE were recreated one more time, and then things appeared to be working.

Hi,
Glad you got it working..
CE servers are very tightly bound to the fully-qualified server name ( including the Domain) so rather drastic-seeming measures like deleting and recreating the servers are needed when the underlying architecture changes..
(first time I was told to do that, I was certain that I was going to lose all my current configurations)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back