Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to set custom 404 in IIS 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einstein47

Programmer
Nov 29, 2001
US
I know - I know - IIS 5 is REALLY old and I should upgrade. However, I am going to stick with Win XP Pro until I have the money to get a better PC. Besides, I only use it for local development. I push my ASP pages out to a server on the internet that does free hosting. Enough history - back to my problem.

My hard drive glitched and I had to reinstall Windows XP 2 months back. Ever since, I can't get my custom 404 error page to work. I looked at the settings and I there isn't an option for a custom 404 error page anymore. [red]Is there a way to add a new HTTP Status value so I can get the 404 error page back?[/red] Either through the registry or some other configuration file? Or - would it be better to uninstall my IIS and then reinstall it. I can see the other status values (ie: 401, 403, 500, etc.) but 404 is missing.

Any suggestions - including dumb looks - are welcome at this point.

Einstein47 (Starbase47.com)
“PI is like love - simple, natural, irrational, endless, and very important“

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back