Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Send/Receive Message in Outlook Express 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorpe89

Technical User
Jul 4, 2004
GB
I have the latest version of Outlook Express on XP and I have set up an account with the correct details. When I click the Send/Receive button it comes up with this error:

Unable to poll for new messages on your HTTP server. Account: 'Hotmail', Server: ' Protocol: HTTPMail, Server Response: 'Service Unavailable', Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCCF0

I used HTTP Hotmail for my address. Does it matter if you are using @msn.com or @hotmail.com? I am using @msn.com and this may be the problem.

hotmail is hotmail, not msn! Of course it won't work!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Did you expect an solution to something that has no solution?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

ok, now you tell me what is sarcastic about something that WILL NOT WORK?

If you have an MSN address then WHY would you expect to be able to use a HOTMAIL login?

That is common sense, nothing sarcastic about it!

Marc
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Another way of putting it:

If your e-mail address is @msn.com, then you need to set the OE account for the correct server - ' is the hotmail server - not msn. I have no idea what the correct msn mail server name is, but you should find it somewhere within the MSN support/setup pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back