Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to save ms office documents when delete permissions removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

I seem to be gettting know where fast with the server support company and my request to have them stop users from being able to delete files, or drag / drop folders all over the place as some unknown users are corrupting one of our network shares.

They told be that removing delete permissions would accomplish this, however, once implemented no-one could save anything created in my applications.

This is apparently down to MS using a temp file which cannot be deleted when saving files.

I was told by the support company that if I re-wrote my code so it created any documents on a location the user has full access to then copy the document to the network share this would work and after two days refactoring all our apps, indeed it does!

However, now when the user opens an exisitng document on the network share and makes any changes, they now cannot save the changes, yet the server support company told me they would be able to?

What do I need to tell them to do so I can have this network share locked down so no one can delete or move folders, but are able to edit existing documents and then save their changes?

I assume this is down to once again the temporary file cannot be deleted when trying to save the changes, so is it possible to tell their MS Office to use a particular location for the temp file where they do have delete permissions?

Or are there folder permissions that will give me what I need?

Thanks,

1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Dance Music Downloads

I think there is no good solution for this. I've been down this path several times with people. The fact is that Office requires delete rights in order to save a doc... It's a human problem with a human solution, at least in this case.

The best way I've seen to get around this is to strictly enforce the saving of docs in specific folders for specific projects and not to let any folder be a catch-all or something that someone would feel compelled to organize, clean up, or save trash to. If there's a clear place to save every kind of doc, there are less accidents.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Well this is a clear place it's a specific share for a particular function, but it isn't a 'project'.

I'll see if the office guys can suggest how to change temp file location, or we will have to simply implement some form of tracking / snooping and try to work out which employees need training or worse!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Dance Music Downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back