Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to run setup.exe from cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

zggs90

Programmer
Sep 3, 2001
GB
I have two computers running win 2000.

On one computer I am able to load a CD and the program on the CD automatically installs and runs OK.

On the other machine I load the CD and nothing happens. I open the CD and double click setup.exe and the hour glass shows for a few seconds and then reverts to the arrow, no install has taken place. I have successfully copied the files to a hard drive and again double click setup.exe with the same result.

When I shut down the computer I see the Install Shield start up but it then closes and the system shuts dowm.

Any ideas please

Try updating the windows installer from microsoft.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it did not work. Any other ideas?

virus/spyware problem?

policy in place?

have you checked the event log to see what it thought was going on (run eventvwr.msc).

Have you checked in task manager to see if setup.exe is actually running?

Machine ok in all other respects?

Does sound like possible malware/spyware or even virus as some of the above post mention. I would run a full system scan from the link below to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back