Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to run dcpromo

Status
Not open for further replies.

icn2pcs

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2001
US
On my DC, w2k adv, was trying to demote my server because of a replication issue which i have tracked down to a dns problem. But I get the same error running dcpromo as I do trying to force replication. The error goes something like this "The DSA operation is unable to proceed because of a DNS lookup failure." The DC in qustion has an incomplete fq domain name. The server name is myserver. No .company.com proceeds it in nslookup and it also does not display an ip address. So I need to change the name, hence the new post.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Seems to me like your DNS information is not configured properly on ths Domain Controller. You need to verify your DNS settings and make sure you have the IP Address of the DNS server entered correctly.

I think I have found the answer to my problem of being able to demote my DC. I foung it in this white paper from Microsoft's knowlege base Q332199. I will try it and respond back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back