Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to retrieve column from link (Trying to load file)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wholsea

Programmer
Jun 16, 2004
US
I keep getting this error:

Unable to retrieve column from link

When trying to load a file with fixed columns into an Oracle 9i database

My source columns are set up properly. I am executing a trim() against the fields coming into the tables so as not to pass through spaces into the database.

I am also getting this error:

Mismatch in number of column between data and link

When loading from another sequential file that has blank records at the bottom of the file.

Any ideas?

ASP, VB, VBS, Cold Fusion, SQL, DTS, T-SQL, PL-SQL, IBM-MQ, Crystal Reports, Crystal Enterprise

Usually means your input stage is trying to read a row but has already used up all the characters in that row before all the columns have been filled. Your fixed width lengths are out of whack.

As for the blank row problem the easiest way to handle it is to get rid of the blank rows! Can the application creating the file stop doing this? Otherwise you could try to setup your sequential file input stage to handle blank rows by turning on missing column handling on the format and columns tabs. Then filter these rows out in a transformer using a constraint.

I fixed this error: Unable to retrieve column from link

All I did was re-define the field sizes on the input object (FTP File object) and it cleaned that up.

I am still getting this error though:

Mismatch in number of column between data and link

Since we get the file from another data source, we cannot control the blank records at the bottom of the file. I've tride a few different routes, including loading to a sequential file from our FTP source, then limiting the records being input in, the closest I could get was padding the columns with spaces, but then I cannot omit those records. (DS tries to insert blanks or nulls into the DB)

ASP, VB, VBS, Cold Fusion, SQL, DTS, T-SQL, PL-SQL, IBM-MQ, Crystal Reports, Crystal Enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back