Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to resize partitions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCapper

Technical User
Apr 16, 2009
AU
Using Vista Home Premium I have a 250gig HDD partitioned into 170gig as the active boot drive and the remainder as a data drive.
I need to increase the size of the boot drive and would like to just use all the space of the data partition.
However, after removing all data from the data drive I can only shrink it slightly by 2.49Gig. It wont let me format it even now. Also the boot partition does not give th eoption to expand itself to the unallocated 2.49G that is available.
There is no page file on the data partition and I have done a backup snapshot ( not sure how I would, anyway..)
I guess I could do an Acronis backup image of the boot drive and reprocess the entire drive as a single partition but since I can't unallocated the data partition I don't know if it's possible.. that is without removing the drive and processing it on my XP system.
(Hopefully I've attached an image of the drives config..)
Is there any "easy" way to achieve the single, maximum capacity partition while leaving the boot contents workable?

For something like that I use GParted from the Live SystemRescue CD... It is a bootable Linux distro on a CD with a great partition manager and imager...

SystemRescueCd

HOW TO RESIZE PARTITION

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

All partition resize tools I've ever used require contiguous unallocated free space in order to increase an existing partition. I think you need to delete the data partition so it is free space that can be added to your boot partition.

This says it is a free partition resize tool for Vista. I've never used it.

Thank you for your first link, Linney. I have not used Vista's shrink tool so was not familiar with its limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back