Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to render JPEGs and GIFs using OLE in PB8

Status
Not open for further replies.

angoid

Programmer
Jan 22, 2004
GB
Hi,

I'm unable to get a JPEG or GIF image to render in PowerBuilder using an OLE object. I'm using PowerBuilder 8.0, build 9838 (but I also had the problem under PB6.5).

I get the icon representing the data type instead of the actual image itself.

I'm using NT4.0 Workstation. Some customers have reported that it works OK and others are reporting that their computers get stuck for a very long time and then they get the image. I'm not sure of the operating systems they are using.

Basically, I'm inserting an OLE control and the image data is stored as a BLOB in an Oracle column. When creating the OLE control, I'm ensuring the "Display as Icon" checkbox is not checked, but it appears to make no difference.

Details of how I'm adding the OLE control:-

PB8 menu:Insert -> Control -> OLE...

On Insert Object dialogue box, ensure the "Display as Icon" checkbox is clear.
I've tried different types from those available, including Bitmap Image, Microsoft Word Document, and Image file.

On selecting the object type, the relevant application opens up. I'm simply closing that down.

I then insert the object in the correct place, and give it a name such as "ole_picture".

The code I'm using to populate it from the BLOB after selecting the BLOB from the database into a PB BLOB variable called ole_blob is

ole_picture.object_data = ole_blob

Can anyone help here please? The effect I'm trying to achieve is to get the actual image to render, not just the icon.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back