Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Receive Email from a single domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManagerJay

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2000
US
This is the first time I have seen this type of behavior, so please let me know if any additional information is needed.

One of the vendors we regularly do business with has made some changes to their e-mail server and now I am not able to receive e-mail from them. Everyone else in the world (including spammers) seem to be able to send me e-mail but this one company cannot.

In the smtpd/current log, I see the following entry when they attempt to send me an e-mail.

@4000000044bd2a62259ed23c tcpserver: ok 76653 mail.mnea.org:10.129.10.45:25 :64.78.238.45::1834
@4000000044bd2a6301ef00b4 tcpserver: end 76653 status 256

Googling I found status 256 basically means the message was not received.

If I try to ping the domain name the e-mail is sent from, the name is not resolved to an IP address. I verfied this using dnstuff.com. If I perform an nslookup on the domain, I have found it does have an MX record, but no other records associated with it. I am able to telnet to the MX record without any problem.

I am thinking this is not a qmail problem, but rather a problem with the senders DNS.

Any insights as to what might be wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back