Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to reach this website with Windows 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumgait

Programmer
Jun 14, 2001
CA
I work in a government agency in technical support.

We have a staff of about 220 people. The majority of staff use Windows 95. A few staff use Windows 98 (Toshiba laptops)and Windows 2000.

All staff use Internet Explorer 5.5

We are behind a firewall.

All Windows 95 staff can "not" get to this following website:

(this is an alumni site put together by a former member of the Royal Hong Kong Police department). It looks like something is blocking them.

Now all Windows 98 and Windows 2000 users (who are also behind the same firewall) can get to this site with no problem at all!! It display within a few seconds.

This seems strange to me.

Can a website be put up that stops windows 95 users from accessing it but would allow windows 98 win 2000 users?

Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

John Falloon

It might be their IP addresses, not their operating system, in which case yes, the website can stop you based on your IP address. Best guess here on testing that theory is to install a different OS on a Win95 machine and see what happens.<br><br>Otherwise, my only guess would be your problem is rooted in how win95 is configured.<br><br>Although those are only guesses... best of luck. <p>Liam Morley<br><A HREF="mailto:"></A><br>&quot;light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>light the world, and bring depth to the silence.&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back