Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to put NICs into Gig mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglebowski

Technical User
Jan 29, 2004
GB
We have around 50x DL580 G5 & DL380 G6 that we are trying to change to gig ethernet. They have the HP NICs NC373i and NC382i respectively.

The network team will change the cisco switches to gig ethernet and when i try to change the link speed it comes up saying cable disconnected. I have connected both my laptop and a buffalo drive to the servers and they connect ok at gig.

Does anyone know of any issues with NICs when connected to cisco switches?

Biglebowskis Razor - with all things being equal if you still can't find the answer have a shave and go down the pub.

biglebowski,

We do not have Cisco switches, but have found that the NIC cards on the HP servers must be set to "auto" instead of to a GB in order for them to run at a gig. Then with our switches set to a gig, the servers run at a gig.

Might give it a try.

Kmills

I had the same issue you had one but the cisco switch was set to channel group aka teaming which caused issues. Setting the switch port back to the default settings might help.

Well, has anyone tought of asking and confirming that the wire is cat5e or Cat6 or above???

Start there and confirm. I would imagine the cisco switches can be setup to auto sense. This being said. Upon getting the correct cable (Don't forget the correct connectors for the cables as well (8P8C I think. I might have this one wrong so check into the connector) , and the correct drivers, then you should be able to connect.. Check distances as well.

It's a data center where everything is cat6 and interconnects are fibre. No copper runs are longer than 5 metres.

Biglebowskis Razor - with all things being equal if you still can't find the answer have a shave and go down the pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back