Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to preview report 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystalguru

Technical User
Oct 4, 2001
US
I have report services installed locally on my laptop. It is access the local sql server developer 2000 database. It is running XP SP2.

When I am in my report project, I can query the data and return data from the database. I can look at the Layout of the report. When I go to preveiw the report, I get an error message: An error has occurred during report processing. Cannot create a connection to datasource 'demo'. Login failed for user 'sa'.

When I query the data from the Data tab, I type in the sa login/password and access the data just fine. What is stopping it from previewing?

thanks

I just ran across some additional information to share.

I right clicked on the file PatientOrders.rdl, clicked on Run and got the following error:
A connection could not be made to the report server

Where would I set this up?

Thanks

I am still receiving the error that an error has occurred during report processing.

Anyone with ideas?

I see both the report server files at: AND
the Report Manager at:
When I go to preview the report I get the dreaded
"Unable to connect to the database error"

I have read many threads on this error but no resolutions. I am curious as why I can connect to the database to get my tables and test my SQL but when I go to preview, in the VB.Net app, I can't.

Thanks

Try this:
A. Go to the "Data" tab in the visual studio report project (Report Designer)

B. Bring up the Data[red]Set[/red] properties by clicking the little button with three dots "..." next to the Data[red]Set[/red] dropdown listbox in the top left corner of the Data tab.

C. Bring up the Data [red]Source[/red] properties by clicking the little button with three dots "..." next to the Data[red]source[/red] dropdown listbox in the upper middle of the DataSet properties page.

D. Bring up the Data [red]Link[/red] properties by clicking the "Edit..." button next to the Connection string textbox in the middle-right of the Data Source properties page.

E. Do not type any password or click any checkboxes or radio buttons on the Data Link properties page, just click the "Test Connection" button. If it fails you will not be able to do a preview.

F. If you retype the password, retest the connection, excpet this time it works then you need to turn on the "Allow saving password"

Thank you very much for a very well written and easy to follow instructions.

I completed A - E and the connection failed.

I completed step F and the connection was successful.

I turned on the "Allow saving password" and clicked on the preview tab - IT WORKS!!

This makes me SO happy! I have been messing around this since September 15th.

Thanks again.

There are so many important settings buried 3 screens deep. In my opinion this Report Designer is not as intuitive as the other, more mature, products from Microsoft.

Sheco.....true - but it is still 100 x better than %^%$@* Infopath !!!

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Sheco-- I agree also.

As you can tell from my screen name, I am rather partial to Crystal Reports. But have had training on Reporting Services. What I find most frustrating is I know what I want to do but can never FIND it.

It definately needs to mature and become a little more "Microsoft" friendly in order to run with the big dogs.

later

I get a similar error message, have checked and rechecked connection information as above with no result.
1) I'm using Windows login (Win XP SP2); SQL Server 2005 on localhost in named instance. Fresh install of SQL today, going through tutorials.
2) Trying to fix, I gave the ASP.Net machine account full control over the SQL Server 2005 directory (could be too generous but wanted to get it to work). Subdirectories inherit this permission.

Error messages follow (expanded to show "Advanced Information"):

A) A connection could not be made to the report server (Microsoft Report Designer)

B) The attempt to connect to the report server failed. Check your connection information and that the report server is a compatible version. (Microsoft.ReportingServices.Designer)
Program Location is
at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2005.RSConnection.MissingEndpointException.ThrowIfEndpointMissing(WebException e)
at ..... [plus some more details, trying not to clutter]

C) The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found. (Microsoft.ReportingServices.Designer)
Program Location is
at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2005.RSConnection.GetSecureMethods()
at ..... [plus some more details]

I notice there is a "home.aspx" file under the <localhost> \Reports directory but not under <localhost> \ReportsServer. Don't know whether this is relevant to the 404 error or not.
Any help greatly appreciated. SQL newbie. Thank you.

Two other things also tried with no luck
a) Used MMC to add Windows user and ASP.Net user to all SQL groups on localhost.
b) Disabled firewall (Norton Internet Security) in case it was blocking ports.

Thanks Crystal, i had the same problem for a few months, then by clicking save password it work!!!!! I gave up trying to figure it out about 3 months ago!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back