Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to ping servers by name on XP, Cisco VPN, and PPoE

Status
Not open for further replies.

namco

MIS
Jun 18, 2002
US
Hello,

I hope you can help me. I have 3 users all have XP and use PPoE to connect to their DSL Internet. While connected to any PPoE client it works fine. When they use a Cisco VPN dialer to connect to the network at work, they cannot ping or see servers by their short name. But they can ping by the Fully qualified name such as server.ca.abc.com , but not by just the name "server". If I connect the user to an Internet gateway that will let the user get INternet through NAT and DHCP, the VPN works fine to connect the user to all network resources and they are all pingable by name.

adding the entries to the hosts file didn't help as well as changing the computer name and domain. As long as I have a user connected to the Internet via PPoE, it wont let the user connect over the VPN client correctly. I have tried 3 different PPoE clients in XP. The built in one, WinPoet, and Enternet 300. This is on XP home with the latest service packs installed.

Help!! Any ideas?????

Hi.

I'm a complete novice, just starting with remote access with WXP Pro installed on my computer at the office. Had a heck of a time! I could ping, but not connect. Then, I discovered that the network at the office had access to broadband through a router that had a hardware firewall built in. When they switched to a hub instead of a router there was no problem.

I have no idea if this will be helpful in any way to you, but for what it's worth...hope it helps.

Cheers, Gus Brunston :cool: An old PICKer, using Access2000. I manage Suggestions welcome. padregus@attbi.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back