Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Ping NT server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj2k

Technical User
Oct 17, 2000
NZ
Hi all,

I have set up a VPN using the standard NT4 PPTP setup. The NT server box has SP6a and MS Porxy server running on it. I'm using RAS to let users "dial in" over the internet to access the network.

If I have a remote PC user dial in they are able to connect and have their password and username authenticated with no apprent problems. However they can't send a PING request to the server ( 192.168.0.254 ) as it just times out. Any ideas? I'm a newbie at this and any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks for your time!

Dave [sig][/sig]

Sounds like your proxy server is not passing your packets to the private network. My guess is that nothing on the private network is available. Your problem could lie in the proxy config or if your router does NAT make sure every thing is open that needs to be.

I have used pptp quite a bit, but never with proxy server running on the authentication server before.

You might try to disable proxy services if possible and then test your access. You will have eliminated one possibility.

I just started using Proxy Server 2.0 and was surprised to read on the MS site that it doesn't pass ICMP info and thus you can't ping anything through the Proxy server. I don't know if that is the problem in your case though. Check the IPs your VPN clients are receiving, and make sure they are on the same network (192.168.0.0) as the Exchange server. Do you get 'Request timed out.' or 'Destination host unreachable.' messages on the ping attempt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back