Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to ping NetBIOS name, but can ping DNS name

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyPunt

Technical User
Jul 10, 2007
US
Hi, I have been able to ping the FQDN of a domain (abc.local), but can not ping the NetBIOS name (abc).

I checked WINS and "ABC" domain has the 4 entries needed and flushed the cache using nbtstat -R. Does anyone have any other suggestions of where I could check?

The reason for this is I need My Network Places to see the remote domain. BTW... the computer I am checking from is the DNS/WINS/DC for a Windows 2003 domain and the remote domain is in a DMZ/another subnet.

WINS does not populate the "My Network Places." Population of NetBIOS Names occurs via the computer browser service, which uses NetBIOS broadcasts. Most routers block broadcasts and since the remote Domain is in a DMZ (not sure why AD would be in a DMZ, could you elaborate?) the router is more than likely not allowing the broacast to traverse subnets (as by design).

Jesse Hamrick

And furthermore, depending on the router, an "ip-helper address" command could be configured to allow certain broadcasts, or specific broadcasts via specific TCP/UDP ports.

Burt

Thanks for the postings...

FYI... the "remote" domain is in the DMZ and we have a VPN between the DMZ and the internal LAN. There are 2 firewalls between them so a VPN is needed, not just a . AD is there for Exchange, security, etc.

Here is something new though, I just found out that there is a workgroup in the internal LAN with the same name as the domain in the remote domain. I think if take this workgroup out, it will resolve fine. I haven't done it yet because there are a couple machines I need to do.

FYI - workgroup names are also populated by NetBIOS broadcasts, You have to remove all computers form the workgroup so that they don't broadcast their workgroup name. Otherwise it will never be removed from My Network Places.

Jesse Hamrick

Thanks again for the comments.... [thumbsup]

Having a workgroup in the internal LAN with the same name as the remote domain was the problem. I expected the WINS server entry to take precedence over the NetBIOS broadcast, but it doesn't like DNS does.

If anyone from Symantec is reading this... [bigears] ... the next version of Backup Exec should determine Remote Selections with DNS, not NetBIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back