Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to open PDFs, RealPlayer media, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

camjam26

Technical User
Oct 11, 2004
US
Hi all,

Okay, I'm baffled on this one. I've gone to various websites to test this out and apparently there's something batty with my computer. When attempting to open PDFs from a website, rather than saving them to my computer, I sometimes prefer to just open them. After it goes through its motions, Adobe Acrobat opens but then the message pops up "There was an error opening this document. This file cannot be found." When trying to only open RealPlayer media, I receive this message: "RealPlayer could not locate the specified clip."

I'm currently using IE 6.0 (SP2) on XP. Are there any settings I can change for this by chance?

Please let me know if you need any further info. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Take care,
Chris

Quick addition to that, I can save the files to my computer and open/play them just fine. It can just be an inconvenience at times not being able to just open these files without having to save them.

Thanks again,
Chris

Have you tried uninstalling reader and real player and reinstalling?

Haven't tried that. I also used Opera as a browswer and I was able to open the files just fine. So there's something screwy with IE. Just wasn't sure if anyone else has had this problem.

I don't know if it would make a difference - but it never hurts to try that - I've not had that problem with IE.

Thanks for trying to help out, but unfortunately that didn't do anything. But at least nothing bad happened either! :)

If anyone thinks of anything else, I would be interested to know.

Thanks again,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back