Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to network. Msg: Windows Cannot access \\Computer Name 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamYSA

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
AU
Sorry about the long story but I need to give the full picture!
I run a small home office with 3 computers all on the same workgroup, all able to browse each others shared folders and mapped network drives: All 3 were running XP (2 Professional, 1 home. I then changed one of the XP Professionals to a notebook with Vista Home Premium. That created a few minor issues that were easily resolved.

I then changed the XP home to a netbook with Windows 7 Starter. Still all OK. I then upgraded the Vista and Windows Starter machines to Windows 7 Home Premium and now I am really stuck!

The network runs through a Netgear wireless router which has not changed at all.

The XP cannot see the two Windows 7 machines. Neither of the Windows 7 machine can see the XP machine.

Both Windows 7 machines appear in their respective 'Network & Sharing Center' windows and both appear on the Network Map (which also gives the IP & MAC addresses of each machine)

When I try an open a remote machine I get the Network Error: Windows Cannot access \\MACHINE-NAME with the error code in the details 0x80070035 The Network path was not found. When I click on the offered Diagnose button I get the message "Windows can't find "COMPUTER-NAME". ..... make sure it is turned on and connected to the network.

One machine is using Norton Internet Security the other Trend Micro - both firewalls have been turned off. (And both security suites were in place and operating when the network was functional).

Both machines have file and printer sharing turned on in the advanced sharing settings dialog. Interestingly I cannot get either machine to save the 'Turn on Network Discovery' option. I select it, click save changes, the window closes. Opening it again shows that the Off option is now selected.

Hope someone can help.

Disabling firewalls is often not sufficient as the settings remain active on many occasions. I know it is a pain in the proverbial but if all else fails then I recommend that you consider uninstalling the firewall from the security suites.

See what this says about the various types of Networks and how firewalls may block Public Networks.

Windows 7 - i can"t turn on network discovery

Cannot turn on Network Discovery

You can wade through the rest if you like.

Thanks Linney - I have been through most of those links previously, Not much success though. I will unistall Trend Micro on one machine (have no confidence uninstalling Norton - have heard to many horror stories). If I can make one computer 'accessible' work it might give me a clue on how to fix the problem. Sill ope to other suggestions!

Make sure the Network is set as a trusted Network. Win 7 has a thing about networks not being trusted and limits access to almost everything if its not Trusted.

Also Can you Ping the XP machine from the Win 7 machines? and vice versa?

If you do a Net View from the XP machine does it show you the Win 7 machines as being part of the Network?
Likewise from the Win7 machines?

If you try to Ping the XP machine from Win 7 by Name instead of IP can it resolve it?

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

An update: I have not been able to solve any of the problems mentioned, especially turning on network discovery. BUT tried to connect across the network today and Voila! Network drive is now mapped. Wish I knew what happened so I know what to do in the future!!

With Network settings it often requires a reboot for the changes to take place, so the question is, what did you change prior to the last reboot?

There were a number of boot-reboot procedures on all machines (including the router). Immediately prior to the network working there were no changes on anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back