Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to modify Co. Catalog from Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanzelmans

Technical User
Dec 3, 2003
US
We are in the process of upgrading from Impromptu 6.1 to 7.2 MR1.

I upgraded two machines with Impromptu Administrator-one functions perfectly fine while the other can access the company catalog and modify folders/properties/users, but the options for tables/joins are greyed out.

The other machine works perfectly fine and is able to make all changes.

The machine that is having the problems (mine, of course) still has 6.1 installed so that I can support the older version through the rollout.

Any ideas as to what could be causing the problem?

Thanks,
Steve Hanzelman
Milton Hershey School

Steve,
If a catalogue is already open in Impromptu administrator, another incident of Impromptu Administrator can't make changes to it.
Additionally, I seem to recall that the catalogue is upgrade when going from 6 to 7, so if you wish to keep a split install, then you'll need two catalogues and have much fun keeping them in step.
lex

Lex,
Thanks for the quick response!

The other catalog wasn't opened at the time. As for keeping it up to date with the version 6 catalog, thankfully we don't have that many changes occuring that it would become a pain. I have two directories currently-one with V6 catalogs and the other with V7.

I performed the upgrade to the V6 catalog and it appears to be working fine as reports look good.

To me it's odd that I can make changes to the folders, but cannot access the tables or joins.

Steve Hanzelman
Milton Hershey School

Steve,
You're welcome - sorry I couldn't offer a solution.
I guess there must be some change in the way the catalogue is manipulated in 7 to that in 6 that precludes backward compatibility. One of the fellows here, flex, is a vendor and could probably expand on the topic.
For my 2c, I'd be wary of maintaining 2 installs - there'll usually be some snafu somewhere later along the line.
lex

Steve,

What OS is on your computer?

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back