Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Merge a tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARRoss

Technical User
May 13, 2004
GB
Can anyone please help. I am not overly familiar with ArcServe and it may be that I am doing something wrong here. Basically, one of our users has deleted a very important folder of documents but she can't remember when. I went back a few months to one of our back up tapes. I went to restore - restore by session - found the tape number, but not all the sessions were showing so I attempted a merge of the tape which failed. The error message was "E3801 Invalid Session Signature Header".

We are using Brighstor Version 9 Build 2020 on a Windows 2000 Server.

There's not much I can do re. the restore if I can't get the tape to merge. Like I said, it may be that I am not following the correct process so any assistance here would be greatly appreciated.

Angela

Have you tried merging only one session (or does your backup have only one session)? A session is a separate server/volume... if so:
Try restoring by media (instead of by session. Then on OPTIONS, click on FILTER and choose the file name(s) and/or the directory name. Restore it to a different location.

I posted a similar problem I was having with Brightstor for Netware that has NO solution:
I have an identical problem although it goes deeper. We previously were backing up our Netware 5.1 on to an HP 40/80 DLT drive. We were using Arcserve 7 for Netware (fully patched). Then, we had no problems merging or restoring. We buy a Quantum SDLT (160/320) drive because it is able to read DLT tapes. We connect it to our current setup. No problems backing up, merging or restoring (by session). Our server dies. We get a new server with Netware 5.1 (latest SP). We HAVE to purchase Brightstor 9 for Netware (since we could not find out ARcServe 7 for Netware CDs). I figured, the upgrade was better. Our backups are doing fine. But when I try to merge a tape (DLT) with our SDLT, it would not merge and just kept giving an error message: Error E1086 Failed to scan. I contacted CA support. They recommended trying to merge one session at a time. NO LUCK. Then they told me that SDLT and DLT drives have differing technologies (DUH) and I should try connecting back the DLT drive (remove the SDLT) and try merging. I did. NO LUCK. Then they said try RESTORING by MEDIA with a filter including only those files/directories you need. Every file it scanned gave an error: Recover file {FILENAME}
File trailer signature is invalid! (file:{FILENAME}, signature:0)
E1056 Invalid file header [] signature=0
I even tried to merge the tape with the DLT drive on ArcServe 2000 for Windows. I WAS SUCCESSFUL in the merge but I cannot restore ANY FILE. It tries to restore than, when the stream finds the file, it says immediately 'DISCONNECTING FROM MEDIA' then RESTORE INCOMPLETE (no details why). I ask CA about this and they say:
"You cannot restore files with ARCserve for Windows, if the files were backed
up with ARCserve For Netware, as both again use different technology to
backup and restore.
ARCserve for Netware will use SMS to backup and restore.
ARCserve for Windows will not use SMS to backup and restore.

You will have to restore with ARCserve for Netware only if the Files were
backed up with ARCserve for Netware."

Okay. So connecting the original DLT drive (using this DLT tape) will not merge with Brightstor 9 for Netware (fully patched, mind you). It will not restore by media (with filters). Now I am stuck with useless tapes, awaiting CA's response. I may have to set up an old server with Netware 5.1, buy ArcServe 7 for Netware from eBay, install it, connect the DLT drive (and tape) to it and restore from there. What a PAIN.

Checking SUPPORTCONNECT (the new lame support of CA), I find these:

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Product: BRIGHTSTOR ARCSERVE BACKUP FOR NETWARE ENTERPRISE ENGLISH: 9.0
Problem Number: 154 Type: PRODUCT
Open Date: 02/12/04 Last Modified Date: 03/11/2004

Title: TAPE MERGE FAILS

Tapes backed up with ARCserve 7.0 on NW 4.2 can t be merge with ARCserve 9.01 on NW 6.5. Error: E1086 Failed to scan file .[Root] (size: 0), 2 5,376 KB 1 files merged @ 322,560 KB/min

Related Solution(s):
We are currently addressing the problem. Solution will be posted when available.

and

Product: BRIGHTSTOR ARCSERVE BACKUP FOR NETWARE ENTERPRISE ENGLISH: 9.0
Problem Number: 145 Type: PRODUCT
Open Date: 01/14/04 Last Modified Date: 01/14/2004

Title: ASDB BACKUP FAILED WITH "FAILED TO BEGIN SCAN..."

Env: BAB9.01,NW6.5 Problem : E1056 Invalid file header [] signature=ddddd386 E1058 Failed to read from media - No data detected E1062 Invalid session signature, 7e7e7e7e E1086 Failed to scan file ARKMAN~1\CRIMSON.JAR (size: 206289) No data detected

Related Solution(s):
We are currently addressing the problem. Solution will be posted when available.

Veritas is looking better more and more...

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I can't get it to merge the session that I need. It comes up with the error invalid session signature header SIG(=eeeeeeee). I think there should be about 15 sessions on the tape but it will only merge in 7 of them. Can anyone advise me how I can merge all the sessions in and how to get round the invalid session signature header error that I keep getting?

Try this, your path may be a little different but under Base it will be the same.

Open regidt32.exe
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on Local Machine
Open it to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\ARCserveIT\Base\Task
Highlight Task and select Edit Add Key from the menue bar.
Key Name: Merge
Class: <leave blank>
Hightlight Merge and select Edit Add Value
Value Name: DonotUseCatalogMerge
Data Type: REG_DWORD
click OK
Data: 1 *// 1 = Enabled, 0 = Disabled

Thank you for your reply. I have tried this but still get the error message whilst trying to merge. Should I have rebooted the server after making this change to the registry?

No reboot needed, and the log should report sequintial merge being used.

If that is failing then try a different installation if you have one, different cable and terminator, remove any other devices on the bus. Get rid of any OS drivers loaded for the tape device, (see faq which driver should I use for details)but in the end it might just be time for a data recovery service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back