Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to map network share by sharename

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoWalker

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2003
GB
I am unable to map to a shared drive on one of our NT servers from a Windows 2000 client via sharename, however, I can map to the drive via IP.

Heres the problem in more detail:

Shared folder on our stratford server with an IP of 10.44.0.2 called finance. users map the drive as \\stratford\finance

However, one user cannot map to the shared finance folder by name, instead the user has to map the drive by typing
\\10.44.0.2\finance

I can ping stratford via command prompt on the users machine and it can see it.

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks

You have a browser issue.

As a guess, disable the Computer Browser service on that workstation so that it does not attempt to assert itself as the Master Browser.

Forum member Bob Linn has a great site to help troubleshoot the problem. Look under the Troubleshooting section, Browser Issues at:
You likely will need the resource kit tool Browstat.exe, available from MS:

Check that you have correct WINS and DNS Server IP assigned on the machines that have the problem.

Check whether the machines are using lmhosts or host file for name resolution. If they are, then go to x:\winnt\system32\drivers and check at the content of the hosts and lmhosts files (notepad) to see if they have the proper ip configuration.

If you are using WINS or DNS, check that the proper name records for the server are store in the database.

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back