Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to login to peer to peer after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkermms

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2000
US
We have 5 95 workstations one of these is acting as a server with shared folders and printers. Sometimes when a user reboots his machine he is not able to reconnect to the server. Once the server is rebooted the user is able to connect to the server with out any problems. Any ideas.

Mark

How do you mean, can't connect. Can't it see it on the workgroup, are there mapped drives that don't map? What protocol(s) are you using?

At this location they are using netbeui and have tcp/ip running for the protocols. They have logon and restore network connections enabled for the client for MS networks. This is a remote location (them in Holland and me in the US) that I have only seen their setup once and have been trying to help them troubleshoot by phone. I looked at all machines the day that I was there and each has a different Netbeui id and ip address. It used to work fine, a few weeks back they had to replace the motherboard in the so called server\workstation and this problem started to appear. I checked all the power conservation features on the board thinking that maybe it was timing out after a short period. I also replaced the nic, it worked the whole day I was in that office but got called the next day, with them saying it was doing the same thing again. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark

I wonder if there is an browse master election problem here, one of the workstations and the server are both trying to act as the browse master for the network. This doesn't happen if tcp/ip is the only protocol. If there is no good reason for both, try running just one protocol. If you want further info on Browse Masters go to
If this doesn't turn out to be the problem, post back here and at least we will have eliminated one possible problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back