Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to login in a telnet session

Status
Not open for further replies.

m2001331

Technical User
May 29, 2002
MY
Hi all,

I have a peculiar problem - I had recently suffered a massive power failure which caused my server(workserver1) to power out and I had managed to start up and it's up and running again.
However, I am unable to telnet into the server from my other unix boxes(namely - Techno1) - which I could do before the incident.Nothing have changed in terms of setup or network.
No passwords have been changed and I can login from the console using the same user and password.I wonder why
I cannot login via a telnet session.

I can telnet into Techno1 from Workserver1 and login successfully,but i can't do otherwise.

This the output i get when i try to telnet into workserver1 from techno1.
[root@techno1]>telnet workserver1
Trying...
Connected to workserver1.
Escape character is '^]'.

Workserver1

login: root
Password:
Login incorrect

login:

Please advise.
thanks a million.

a root-telnet login?
Won't you prefer a ssh-login as user, and sudo?

OK - that's not your question.
Can you telnet-login from the machine itself?
Do you have special characters in the password which might be misinterpreted?

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

i don't think it's a user problem, sure
root is unusual, but allowed, why not?
i believe you have pwd troubles, expired?

Hi,
yes, it may be that telnet access for root is deliberately denied. But this would mean, of course, that somebody changed configuration since you tried last time.

In order to find out:
Can you telnet as some other, non-root user?

Telnet login for root is widely considered bad practice.
And therefore many system (and many system administrators) do not allow it.
The ways to deny/allow telnet access for root differ for the various flavours of unix. Two ways I know about:
Yoo may edit file /etc/securettys, or you may edit file /etc/default/login (if either of these files exist on your system, of course).
hth

Hi..thanks for all the replies,

The telnet access have been denied since a power failure that caused the system to power out suddenly and after power up i couldn't telnet into it as not just root user but any user at all.
however i could telnet into other servers from this one.

please advise.
thanks.

Has your system been rebooted before the power failure? In any case, check /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf files. Make sure the telnet entries are not commented out. If they are, uncomment them and try telnet as a non-root user first.

gallows

why not? (telnet as root)

because the password is transmitted in clear text.
Every ethernetcard which can be put in promisce mode, may get the password as clear text.

using ssh/ sshd instead of telnet/ telnetd is strongly recommended.

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back