Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to log on to Terminal Server after another user logs off

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnatale

MIS
Feb 14, 2003
CA
Have a Terminal server in a classroom with Windows 98 clients which are unable to reconnect immediately after the previous class has logged off. The only way to connect the clients is to reboot the server, which leads me to believe that there is session information which is not being released or there is a licence issue.
- the server is a domain controller
- it also has the licencing server installed on it

Anyone ever have this problem?

TIA

what's the message you get when you attempt to log on? Or, are you even getting to a logon screen?

Are the users on the win98 PC's using Windows 2000 profiles? If so then you need to edit the sessions tab on their profile. Set the "End a Disconnected Session" to 1 minute. This will clear the sessions and free up the licenses for the next class.

Hope this helps. Glenn
BEng A+ MCSE CCA

The admin at the school tells me that the login hangs on the blue background??? (I have not seen the problem myself), therefore I take it that the login credentials have been entered and the system hangs there.

The windows logon is being used for the Win98 stations so as not to get a local logon prompt and to provide 1 logon for the Terminal server only. The "User-level access control" to obtain list of users and groups from the Domain.

The Win98 machines are using a single mandatory profile on the server.
The "end a disconnected session" to 1 minute has been set.

The server is running TCP/IP as protocol, DHCP server, DNS, WINS and Active directory.

Recently we began having an issue on our Terminal Servers with clients hanging on the blue screen during the logon process (looking in TSAdmin, the only process running would be rdpclip.exe in the problem sessions, explorer wouldn't start). We suspected the problem had to do with a new installation of Symantec Antivirus on the server and opened a call with them. The suggestion they made was to change the IRPStackSize registry value to 15 (decimal) on the Terminal Server. Since the change was made the problem hasn't reoccured, but we're still monitoring for any issues.
For info on changing/adding the IRPStackSize value, see MS article Q285089 on the Microsoft support site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back