Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to log in without hitting ctrl alt del

Status
Not open for further replies.

compnut

MIS
Oct 26, 2004
US
I have a strange problem. I used to have it where as soon as i botted up i would be logged into XP automatically. Now what happens is that I see the "Welcome" screen, but without any options to select a user account (i only have one and guest is disabled). the welcome screen stays there until i hit ctrl alt del then my desktop loads. i havent tried any other key combinations other than ctrl alt del but i am at a loss as to why i can no longer get to the desktop automatically. I am afraid that something is corrupt but i am not sure what or how to fix. Thank you for any help.

First, download and run TweakUI from Microsoft:

Click on "Logon", and place a checkmark against the Administrator and your own Account to show on the Welcome Screen.

Exit TweakUI and restart the computer. Use your name from the Welcome Screen to logon. (It should now appear).

Second, within Windows, click Start, Run, control userpasswords2

Uncheck the top box requiring that users must use a username and password to use this computer. You will be prompted for the username and password to use for an automatic logon. Indicate your own account.

Worked great thanx.

Would you happen to know if i keep getting an error that the pagefile is not setup correctly (when i know it is) if that means the computer is severley corrupted? I looked at microsoft help site and they said to make sure that the admin account and system account had full control of the C: drive. And they do. Know of anything else that may cause this error to pop up all the time?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back