Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to load user.exe reinstall windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark59

MIS
Jul 7, 2000
US
Error loading user.exe reinstall windows

I ran sfc on a system running W98 SE. I got a message that user.exe is corrupted and that I should restore it. I tried to restore it from the W98 disk but it could not find it. I made sure it was looking in the right location. Then I thought if I went to dos and deleted user.exe and then copied it from my system to the windows\system directory the it would boot, it did not. I tried to do scanreg \restore and that did not work. Any way to correct this without reinstalling windows.

I also followed the instructions to a T. from Microsoft support article Q243372.All spaces and entries were correct. The first time it failed and said it could not read cd rom after it started. The second time , it asked to overwrite and I said yes and it extracted. Upon reboot I get the same message.
Thank You

Ooooooooooops...

Had the same thing myself a while ago and had to do a re-install.

Run setup from the CD and you should retain most of your personal settings - you can always restore your reg from a recovery disk after to put it all back as it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back