Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to kill process. Access is deined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2002
US
I am using Windows 2k Server. There is a service for our backup system that sometimes flakes out and will not kill the executable (it appears on the process list).

Services control panel says it is stopped, but the process is still running. I have tried using kill.exe from the Windows Resource Kit and pskill.exe from sysinternals.com, but both of those also say access is denied. I am logged in as the Domain Admin. The domain admin group is in the Local Administrators group.

How can I kill this process i.e. what is the equivalent of "kill -9" in Windows?

Thanks, --
Brian T Glenn
LAN Administrator
Interactive payer Network

Keep in mind "Kill" is a resource kit tool. However you can just copy it over, or run it from a floppy.

I tried kill -f before I posted, I should have been more explicit about what exactly I had tried with kill.exe.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, --
Brian T Glenn
LAN Administrator
Interactive Payer Network

May sound lame, but, check the ownership of the exe.

Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the same problem and the only resolution is to reboot. Does anyone have aby other ideas besides kill and pskill?

If you are an admin then ensure that you have permissions to that file in system32 (or other location). Ensure that there is no associated service running (Backup Exec, etc.) then see if you can kill it. It may have associated .dll files also that need to be removed (don't forget to take them from DLL CACHE also). GL.

use procexp.exe from sysinternals.com should be able to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back