Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to inventory or catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

flo2980

ISP
Mar 9, 2003
US
We installed Version 9.0 on a single server and it does not recognize any tapes. This might be understandable since this is an upgrade from version 4.2. However the drive does not recognize new tapes either. If I try to run the inventory it just sits there. Catalog is grayed out. I tried to copy the old catalog files but still no luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help!

Are you able to perform any functions at all on the tape drive? If not, then maybe you need to install an updated driver. You can probably download one from Veritas. While your at it you can also verify that your tape drive is supported by Backup Exec 9.0.

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

The drive is a Seagate STT20000A and is on the list of Tested by Veritas. Doesn't seem to be any new drivers but I'll head for the Seagate site later. Any job (inventory, erase, label tape, etc) just sits there doing nothing. It still does not see tape tape.

Get new drivers from support.veritas.com they write their own drivers for the tape drive. dont use vendor drivers.

you should've upgraded to 8.6 before upgrading to 9 if you wanted to get the catalogs across. There is no cost to do so.. you can just download the eval version.

Does the OS reconise the tape drive ?

I have that problem when I change tapes. I just stop the services and restart them and then re-boot I also turn the drive off during shutdown.

Windows server recognizes the tape drive but the drive says it is "Empty" even though there is a tape in it. The server does an auto reboot about 0300 but still doesn't recognize the tapes. I'm beginning to think the drive itself is toast. Reloading the drivers, either Veritas or Seagate, has done anything. Thanks for the suggestions!

It does appear that the drive might have gone bad. I guess the only way to know for sure is to try a new or another known-to-be-working drive. If that doesn't work either, then something about the installation is incorrect. If it does work, then feel free to toss the bad drive out the window!

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back