Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to install Windows updates after System Restore 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scammey

Technical User
Dec 13, 2002
US
I recently did a System Restore. After the restore was complete, I was unable to install Windows Update. I would get the message "Update failed to Install, please try again".

Prior to my System Restore, I had installed these Updates. But since I Restored to an earlier date (prior to date of updates), everytime I run Windows Update, it shows I need to install these updates. But I am unable to install them.

Is there anyway, I can have XP recognize this or remove any remnants of previous installations and reinstall these updates.

Thanks

In IE - Tools - Internet options.
Set:
Accept all cookies, enable install on demand, allow scripting etc.

Or just temp. lower all the security settings. The solution is out there. [morning]

Thanks marcs41, I tried that with the privacy settings and still received:

No Updates Were Installed

The following items failed to install. To try installing them again, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Now again.

Q328310: Security Update (Windows XP)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Can you clarify what is failing to install? Is it the Windows Update Software itself or the above mentioned Security Update 328310.

Here you can choose and save your downloads to disk.

Q319585 - WINUP: Error Message: "Software Update Incomplete, This Windows Update Software Did Not Update Successfully.

It is the Security Update that is failing to install. Actually, it is this security update and (2) other XP updates that are failing.

Before I did System Restore, all of these updates installed successfully.

Thanks

When I manually tried to install an update (after downloading it), I get the following error:

"Setup could not verify the integrity of the file update.inf. Make sure the catastrophic service is running on this computer."

I had the same problem :
installed Q328310 update, system recovery, unable to reinstalle Q328310.

Solution:

in a command box type :
net stop cryptsvc
rename %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot
net start cryptsvc

reinstall Q328310

Worked for me!
found solution in technet article Q326815
"Setup Could Not Verify the Integrity of the File" Error Message Occurs When You Try to Install Windows XP Service Pack 1

Thanks tjok,

That fixed it! I was unable to update all updates.

Thanks to all for the replies on this thread.

This is a really good forum

Scammey

tjok stated:
Solution:

in a command box type :
net stop cryptsvc
rename %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot
net start cryptsvc

reinstall Q328310

In the run box type: "cmd" hit enter
%systemroot% = c:\windows

Thanks brother!!!