Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to install this NW printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteTornado

Technical User
Jul 24, 2002
CA
Hi,

We have been having a lot of troubles with our network over the last few days... Turned out the connexions on our patch panels were loosing their connexion. I rewired several of them straight to the switch and that solved several troubles. However, I have a Windows 98 station (I have my UPS software on it) and I am not able to get to our printer. We are using an HP Laserjet 4 Plus which has a Jetdirect card. I know our main tech has had the hardest time installing that jetdirect, for one thing he never was able to change the IP address 192.168.0.114 to something else - not sure what he was trying to do exactly - just to mention that there has been some troubles with this card in the past. Now, suddenly we lost the
connexion - change wires, test cables everything should be fine, the server is able to go into the properties of that printer, but no one can print from it... Ok - I decide to plug it on the computer sitting close to it - a Windows 2000 station. It is connected through the parallel port - installs fine, test print ok and all sounds fine. Others now have been able to print from it.

Yesterday, I installed the nw shares for this printer, and I add my Win98 user name to this Windows 2000 station - all seems groovy - I can print. Today, I cannot, the printer icon has dissapeared in the printer windows. I try to re-install, no way, it keeps telling me the printer is disconnected - through, from the NW Neiborhood, I can see that Win2K station, I can see the Printer as well - unable to install.

So, I am still trying to dig up what the hell has gone down with that. In the process of doing that, I am seeking some help from the Pros...

Cheers!!

Good news is, it is not dead-freezing cold TODAY in Montreal :)

Very Simple idea, capture the print port and save it as an LTP on each workstation via a batch file. This always solved printing issues for me

How was the IP for the jetdirect box assigned? Was it static or DHCP? If the IP changed then it would show as diconnected.
Just Fyi, if it is DHCP and you tech dosent know how to reset the jetdirect to get the new IP. All you have to do is uplugged it and then hold in the test button as you plug it back in for about 5 sec. It then will look for a DHCP address or reservation if you set one up.

Hi noellees1, tks for this tip - this is a great idea.

1101001100110101, to answer you, our printer is set with a static IP, I am not totally familiar with the install of Jet Direct - but I will foward your tip to the tech when he gets here. By the way, I finally was able to get to the printer using a different route that just through addprinter and I finally got it running!

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back