Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to install sun solaris 9 on ultrsparc 200 laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcstuckinmuck

Technical User
Aug 1, 2008
GB
Hi all, i am new to the sun system, i have a ultrabook 200, which had solaris 8 on and ther drive was too small, so i have put a 20 gig hard drive which is ide. I can boot up the system on the install cd of solaris 9, but i get errors,
The first thing is it say WARNING:ERROR WRITING UFS LOG STATE
WARNING: UFS LOG FOR /TMP/ MNTDEV.8320 AND CHANGED STATE TO ERROR
WARNING: PLEASE UMOUNT (1M) TMP/MNT DEV.8320 and run fsck (1M.)
I can get right up to STARING THE COMMONT DESKTOP ENVIROMENT and takes me up to the console in text and in a box which starts tp prepare a slice for temporary install called swap, and this where my problem begins,
It says , WARNING : kstat_create('sd,0,'sdo'): namespace collision
WARNING: ata_timeout c0 d0
and it repeat this until i do STOP A, do you know why it comes up namespace collision?.
I have done boot into single user mode and done FORMAT>TEST and it came back as no fault, and i also done format>analyze>purge and again no faults were recorded.
but there was the same thing i had when trying to install solaris , when i typed format in single user mode it says,
Searching for disks WARNING kstat_create ('sd',0,'sd0): WARNING namespace collision.
Available disk selections:
0. c0t0d0 <DEFAULT cyn 16381 alt 2 hd 16 sec 63> / pci@1f,4000/ide@3/ata@0,0/cmdk@0,0
then the name space collision , then it says DISK FORMATTED, no defect list found.
So do know know what this name space collision is,regards john

Have you created a UNIX File System on the hard drive.

Example: newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s<partition>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back